Popcorn for Dowry



I love a good movie!

And for many years my Friday nights owned me. Comfortably clad and curled up to a projected movie is where you would ceremoniously find me.

A minimalist by calling, did I need more than an impressive, blank white wall to project onto? Nope.

More honestly though,  maybe to include some of my favorite art, a small though impressive loose tea selection,  Lalique and Maison collections, my 4 crystal animal trinkets and my quietly met view of the city by night - from our penthouse.

Ofcourse all this means nothing without popcorn. And at any stage would be traded for some if necessitated!

See my private space remains where you will happily find me after a busy week. Maybe less in front of a movie, but certainly when I do take the time to watch one (even as a repeat), I love the offered escape!

So being invited to watch two movies, back to back at a regular Cinema, meant a well deserved break from my general entrepreneurially filled weekends. There was also the guarantee of being in good company in a "silent" kind of way, popcorn (which is my eternal weakness and "if you want to impress me you'll know how to make some well" currency) and with the promise of two movies waiting to unfold in an audio, visual, emotional and multi sensory kind of way.

Let me state this upfront. I get asked to review books. Not movies. So by no means am I about to.

But like books, I am reminded of the great escape  and in this instance, how  modern day cinematography, super-specialized effects and a fairly good script can offer that. Seeing the grown up Dakota Fanning in Please Stand By took some getting into and certainly wasn't the strongest script.

Deadpool 2 ..which for me who grew up in a home believing my mom can probably quote all lines from Doctor Zhivago to a then 6 year old me with great aptitude, together with my own love of  classics like As Good as it Gets and modern day The Book Thief - got me laughing hard. Was I surprised that those superheros could do this to me? Maybe.. and more so since both me (and Leonardo Di Caprio) are into the Jack Nicholson sorts.."stars"  genuinely living up to the title.

But between quick wit and some palatable "cheese", the movies escape was great ( like the great escape, the great gatsby!).

A movie continues to offer an effortless and inexpensive escape into the world of entertainment, remaining affordable compared to many other entertainment options out there like concerts, the ballet, museums and the general arts.

A movie and popcorn. Life's simple pleasures. Certainly some of my best.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep when you must!

No substitutes for basic health

Precipice Innovation