June 16th. Think we've come far yet?

Youth Day is commemorated annually on the 16th June and is known for its deep-rooted socio-political significance in South Africa.

I am no politician but have colleagues, and a friend like Jimmy, who understands more in those areas and so I always know I can ask him if I need a reliable political insight. Fortunately, as an entrepreneur I seldom need those. I also think we have bigger issues we find ourselves on the same side of and to fast recover from. 




 

BUT aside from being aspirational in business, what I do identify with is being a person who still can't understand why an intoxicated man, sitting harmlessly in his stationary car and posing no real threat was shot and killed while running away from police. 

What I also believe myself to be is someone who will be moved on a very personal level when seeing any youth and person of any nationality or race going hungry and being displaced. It is also one of the reasons I deeply respect a recently launched endeavour of a 91year old South African taking on a very personal challenge to raise funds for the marginalised in SA. 

But here I am, on June 16th 2020, this Youth Day still wondering where are we with ourselves as human beings? In the middle of a pandemic which halted the entire world, creating major economic and social meltdowns we are tasked to recover from, we are still having to tell the world that Black Lives Matters. We still have black people facing the kind of stuff that no other race does in most circumstances. 

Again, identifying with being human I would speak up for injustices (if I must) against any race, religion, and nationality. I recently had to tell my colleague from Namibia that it is wrong to blame an entire nation for something and which could limit straightforward and fair business. In principle it is the same way I approach business solutions as broadly being a solution which will serve any person, of any race through a solution for a specific human need. Because that is exactly the thing. We all have the same needs as humanbeings and when we take it back to communities of like mindedness, then we create and serve for those specific communal needs.

So just before this 2020 June sixteenth and on this day, amidst a global pandemic which stopped an entire world, I flicked through news platforms to still find us talking about what should have ended around 1976. Infact which should NEVER have even made its way into Humanity.

 

It does makes me wonder..

If anything, what we should be learning from COVID19 is that we all are fighting the same fight to survive and to recover from a pandemic which targeted us indifferently to our race, religion and nationalities.

In closing, I invite you to read more on our NGO https://tcmovement.org/




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep when you must!

No substitutes for basic health

Precipice Innovation